Friday, October 17, 2008

Rancho del Oso Creatures

First up, a wrentit. I hadn't seen one before, and had to improve this photo in photoshop to get an identifiable birdy, but here it is... at least I think it is a Wrentit. Someone said it was and pointed the direction I was looking, so it should be.
Here's a black phoebe... turned out as a pretty good photograph, although Mr. or Ms. Phoebe's head looks kinda awkward.
Best I can figure, this is a juvenile Hairy Woodpecker. There were 3 of them hopping around and I think I took a picture of two of them, but they both look about the same, and they don't look like any other woodpecker I have in the guidebook.
Finally, one I can say with certainty. A Scrub Jay, lol... and not one from our backyard :)
Somewhere about where I was taking the picture of the wrentit and looking for a spotted towhee someone else say, this deer just came right out of the bushes about 10 feet from me. My camera was set up for a slightly different setting, so it came out too dark. But through the magic of photoshop, it became recognizable. Around these here parts, we call it a black-tailed deer. It's part of the mule deer family. I wonder what happened to it's right antler.
There had to be a whole lot more birds out there, but there was a raptor in the area that kept them hidden while we were there. Oh well... just for the views I plan to return, so maybe it'll be more birdy the next time.

3 comments:

Mary C said...

Other than seeing a "new" bird - the wrentit - I really liked seeing your young hairy. I love that black tailed deer. It looks as though it was posing for you -- and it's perfect that his hind end is showing. :)

RuthieJ said...

Good pictures Red.
We saw black-tailed deer when we visited the Effie Yaw Nature Center near the American River in Sacramento. If I remember correctly, they weren't quite as large as our white-tailed deer....

Heidi said...

It was posing :) Actually, I think it was startled there was anyone there. The crowd was 50 feet or so behind me, so I think the deer thought it would avoid the crowd and then spotted me.

You're probably right about that Ruthie. I don't remember seeing any live deer when I lived in Kansas, but they probably are larger.

 

Current skin is Spring Green 2009
Best viewed on Firefox at 1024x768, larger or widescreen.
If you must use Internet Explorer, update to IE8 or the sidebars will look funky.