Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bird Photography Weekly #20


Townsend's Warbler

I don't have much info on this cute little bird except that I live in its wintering range. This was one that my mom spotted first, or maybe it was my dad. We were leaving the Monarch Grove Sanctuary and it was in a tree right in front of us. It was nearly impossible to get its picture because it was just flitting to and fro and couldn't sit still at all. I was lucky this one came out. I didn't think it had until I got home and was quite pleased.

Later that evening about sundown, we stopped at Elkhorn Slough and we saw a tree-full of these little guys & gals. There must have been about eight of them. That's a tree-full to me anyway ;)

Here's a couple of shots from Elkhorn Slough.



Too see more great bird photos, check out

11 comments:

Mary C said...

He sure is yellow! I'm glad you got a shot of him since I couldn't. Great sunset photo of Elkhorn Slough, too.

Anonymous said...

That is a great photo given the challenge. I see you live in CA...want some snow, I can send plenty.....LOL...

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Red, your sunset is spectacular!!

Heidi said...

Thanks Mom :)

Ramblingwoods... sure! We had some right before Christmas in our local hills, but since then, nothing. Not even in the Sierras... not a good thing.

Thank you much Lynne :)

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful bird. Nice photo. :))) Wonderful colours of nature. :)))

mick said...

A very interesting little bird and good you got at least one photo of it. The sunset photos are great!

Heidi said...

Thanks animtreebird :) I live within an hour of some of the most picturesque places in the US... maybe the world :D

Thanks Mick! He looks like a bandit with that black mask.

Anonymous said...

Hey Red, super capture of the Townsend's. And I love the shots of the Slough.

Heidi said...

Thanks Larry! Can't wait to see more of your BPWs :)

Bevson said...

I love that you caught him upside down. You must have a super-quick shutter finger.

Heidi said...

Thanks Bev! LOL, I call it my trigger finger :) I was reasonably in focus before that point because I had been trying to get him clearly. So the autofocus didn't take long at all to zero in on him and I quickly snapped.

 

Current skin is Spring Green 2009
Best viewed on Firefox at 1024x768, larger or widescreen.
If you must use Internet Explorer, update to IE8 or the sidebars will look funky.