Thursday, February 05, 2009

Bird Photography Weekly #23

Thanks to all who signed the petition last week for the Acorn Woodpecker protection! I don't have an update on how many have signed the Audubon California petition to date, but based on the response that I have received - and I don't have hundreds of friends - a lot had to have done so. I sure hope it works.

Anyway, this week I'll feature my favorite bird, the Turkey Vulture.

This first one was one of the first, if not the first, picture. It amazingly turned out considering it was on automatic I think. I was still learning my Aperture and Shutter speed settings and what works best. Actually I'm still learning, but I have a lot more confidence now that an image will come out.

I don't have a lot of pictures of them. I took a lot, but most didn't come out. And nearly every time I see one I don't have a camera with a good lens handy.

This second picture was taken at Vasona, the same day I had my first experience with the Osprey.

Incidentally, I know one of my favorite bloggers also loves the turkey vultures... so here's a shout-out to Lynne of Hasty Brook!

And, thanks to Wren, I just discovered a Turkey Vulture Society!

Almost forgot! Check out more great photos at:

9 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

That a great way to start my day!! I think you and I are kindred spirits Red. Someone sent me a link to the Turkey Vulture Society a while back. I need to order one of their shirts.
Love this post Red!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Red - Thanks for the shout-out. To you and Lynne both, I can only say it's so nice to know that there are others who appreciate vultures.

Heidi said...

I think so too Lynne :) Must be the shared b/d with your hubby or something...

Hey Wren! Yeah, who knew? I affectionately call our cats vultures too. They often strike the classic pose behind your shoulder from up high while you're eating. It's creepy-cute.

Anonymous said...

Great post Red. I love Turkey Vultures too and have written a few posts about them. I see them almost everyday. They are amazing birds and really help keep things clean in these parts!

Heidi said...

Thanks Larry! I'll have to do a tag search or something on your TVs. I think I remember one of your posts on them.

With all the roads around here, I'm sure they are kept busy doing their jobs.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere in South Jersey there is a Vulture Festival. I saw a T-shirt once. I can't saw they are my favorite, but we need them otherwise we would be hip-deep in roadkill. Ew.

Heidi said...

Oh yeah... March 7th (i googled)

Funny thing is the first sentence you wrote could be a line in the Sopranos or something ;)

Leedra said...

You did great, I keep trying to capture the Turkey Vultures in flight. They are always too high, or when they are low enough they are a block down the road. Congrats!

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

Heidi said...

I keep trying too, and like you they are always too high.

 

Current skin is Spring Green 2009
Best viewed on Firefox at 1024x768, larger or widescreen.
If you must use Internet Explorer, update to IE8 or the sidebars will look funky.